In partnership with the United States Forest Services (USFS) Deschutes National Forest, Deschutes Public Library (DPL) is offering a Library Wilderness Pass to be used for the wilderness areas and trails that now require a reservation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the pass available for checkout?
- June 1–September 24, 2021 to Deschutes Public Library cardholders
- Can I place a hold on a pass?
- Passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The pass is library specific: you must be physically present at the library to check out a pass.
- How do I check out a Library Wilderness Pass?
- Ask at the checkout desk to see if a pass is available for checkout.
Passes can be checked out for one week.
- Hold on to your receipt—that’s proof you checked out a pass! Library staff will keep the actual pass at the library so you
don’t have to return it.
- The due date on your receipt is the last day that you may use the pass, and it cannot be renewed.
- The pass automatically expires and is taken off your record after a week. No need to return it to the library.
- Staff are not able to replace a lost receipt.
- How can I use this pass?
Carry your receipt for the Library Wilderness Pass with you on your outing. The pass is valid for:
- 7 days from issuance
- Multiple treks during a 7 day period at any of the trailheads listed below
- Overnight(s) use during a 7 day period at any of the three wilderness areas listed below
- Up to 4 people
- How old do I have to be to check out a Library Wilderness Pass?
- You must be 17 or older.
- Is a recreation pass still required at the trailhead?
- Yes. Visitors must use/display either the annual Northwest Forest Pass or purchase a $5 day pass for parking.
- I have a question, concern or issue with the Central Cascades Wilderness Permit. Who should I contact?
- For more information, visit the Central Cascade Wilderness Permits site. Comments can be directed to the USFS at 541-728-1955 or SM.FS.CCWP@usda.gov.
What trailheads or areas are included in the Library Wilderness Pass?
Mount Jefferson Wilderness
Mount Washington Wilderness
- Breitenbush Lake
- South Breitenbush & Crag Creek
- Duffy Lake
- Jack Lake
- Marion Lake
- Whitewater Creek
- Pamelia Lake
- Pacific Crest at McKenzie Pass
Three Sisters Wilderness
- Broken Top Trailhead
- Crater Ditch
- Devils Lake/South Sister
- Green Lakes/Soda Creek
- Lava Camp Lake
- Sisters Mirror
- Tam McArthur Rim
- Todd Lake