Career and Employment Resources
Your library offers a wealth of information to assist you in any stage of your career or job search.
Jump-start Your Job Search
- Get a Job Tip Sheet – print this essential information to get started.
- Job & Career Accelerator– Powerful tools and expert guidance to help you find a great job.
- Learning Express – take career or college online practice tests and brush up on basic
math, reading writing
and computer skills with online tutorials.
- Gale Courses – Update old skills or learn new ones. Choose from hundreds of interactive,
6 week online courses.
- Cypress Resume – use this “wizard” to quickly create a professional quality resume.
- CareerOneStop: Career Exploration
- Use these free online tools to assess your skills and then explore your career options. Sponsored by the
U.S. Department of Labor.
- Job Hunters Bible
- This is the official site of Dick Bolles, author of the popular book What Color is Your Parachute?
- Mapping Your Future
- A guided tour to choosing a career, from identifying skills and interests to occupations, career goals, school
selection, and more.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Describes what workers do on the job, working conditions, training and education needed, earnings, and expected
job prospects for approximately 250 occupations.
- O*Net Online
- Information on nearly 1000 occupations that can be browsed by occupation or by skills.
Online Typing Resources
- COIC Job Seeker Resources
- COIC helps job seekers of all ages and experience with a variety of job-seeking services, including education
and training. Most services are available at no cost, although some eligibility requirements may apply.
- Provides information on degree-granting institutions worldwide with an emphasis on distance learning.
- Free online computer tutorials from the basics to more advanced topics. Includes tutorials for Microsoft,
Apple, social media and more.
- Search for internships available in all 50 states. The service is free to students, but registration is required
to view full application details and apply online.
- A free online learning resource that teaches you the basic Internet skills you need to find a job. Create
an account and get started!
- Office of Vocational and Adult Education – U.S. Department
- Offers information on vocational education including links to grants and programs.
- 27 guided lessons to learn step-by-step from the beginning. Free registration, but you will need an email
address to register on this site.
- Online free touch typing program, keyboard tutor, and free typing games.
- Bend Bulletin
- The good place to start for local jobs
- Local job listings and free resume registration.
- Craigslist – Bend – Jobs
- Popular site with job listings for the Central Oregon area. To search for jobs in other regions, begin at
the main Craigslist site.
- Oregonian Newspaper
- Best for jobs located in the Portland/Vancouver metropolitan area.
- WorkSource Oregon
- Search for jobs in Oregon plus other job seeking information. Central Oregon offices are located in Bend
(541-388-6070), La Pine (541-536-5380 x202) and Redmond (541-548-8196). For additional employment information try the Oregon Employment Department’s web site.
- Easy to use site with job listings from across the United States. Offers a number of career related resources
including Career Tests and a Salary Calculator.
- The number one job site in the world. Offers access to millions of jobs from thousands of company web sites
and job boards.
- A comprehensive listing of online newspapers from around the world.
- Most, but not all, Federal job vacancies are listed here. To find additional job listings, use the Government
Links page at FedWorld.gov to locate individual agency sites and position vacancies.
- Access company information for over 44 million businesses using your library card.
- Corporate Information
- Search for company profiles from Wrights, Zach’s, Yahoo Finance, and many other publishers. Also find a wealth
of information for industries, countries, and international companies.
- Free access to basic information on more than 87 million companies worldwide. Search by company name, category,
or location, or browse by industry.
- Thomas Register of Manufacturers
- An online directory of manufacturers located in the United States. Search by company name for contact information,
product lines and brands.
- Career One Stop – Resumes & Interviews
- This site, developed by the US Department of Labor, offers information on writing cover letters and resumes
and includes samples and templates for a variety of resumes.
- Provides detailed information concerning employment letters of all types.
- Resume Generator
- A tool for writing resumes online.
- The Resume Guide
- Tips on cover letter and resume writing from the author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Resume.
- Career OneStop - Interviewing
- Learn the secrets of successful interviewing and negotiating.
- Monster.com’s tips for interviewing including preparation, appearance, and follow-up.
- Job Interviews
- Provides articles, sample questions, interactive practice tools, the facts on illegal questions, and fashion
tips to help you have a successful interview.
- Best Places to Live in America
- Money Magazine's rankings the best places to live in the United States. Scroll down to access lists of places
in various categories.
- How to Evaluate a Job Offer
- Salary isn’t the only consideration. This resource discusses the other factors you should consider when evaluating
a job offer. Take the “What’s Important to You” quiz to see what’s most important to you when considering the offer.
- Find Your Spot
- Take the quiz to discover your perfect hometown! You will be required to register to receive your results.
- Provides salary, bonus, cost-of-living, and benefits data information on over 31,000 jobs in over 45,000
U.S. and Canadian cities.
- Salary Negotiation and Job Offer Tools and Resources
- A collection of the best and free job offer, salary information, and salary negotiation resources for job-seekers.
Library Services & Resources
- Book a Librarian
- Get help with your resume and career research.
- Computer classes and online tutorials for updating your skills.
- Mango Languages
- Update your language skills with this resource. Download the app and take it with you!
Chat with a Librarian
Page Last Modified Monday, August 12, 2019