HomeWord Bound Program provides access to library materials for homebound Deschutes County residents.
HomeWord Bound Application
This free service delivers library materials to the homes of Deschutes County residents. Material types include:
- Print books – regular or large print
- Audio books on CD
How We Select Your Materials
Prior to your first delivery a library staff member will contact you about your reading preferences so we can provide you with the materials you want. Next, a HomeWord Bound volunteer will be assigned to you, and based on your reading preferences, will select library materials for you. Let staff and volunteers know if you liked the materials you received by completing a Reader's Rating form, which is provided with each delivery. You can also request specific library materials by calling HomeWord Bound at (541)312-1035.
How to Return Your Materials
If you receive materials by mail:
- Replace materials and the Reader’s Rating forms in the mail bag in which they were delivered.
- Zip it shut.
- Insert the postage-paid return address label in the outside holder.
- Put the white fastener through the holes and zipper - pull to secure the bag shut.
- Put the bag out for your postal carrier to pick up.
If you pick up materials at your living facility/complex:
- Return items to the drop off location (lobby, office, social room, etc.) by the prearranged delivery day and time.
- Pick up new items (labeled with your name) in the same location after the monthly deliver day and time.
Renewals & Fines
Call 312-1035 for renewal requests. As long as there are no holds on the item, it will be renewed.
No overdue fines will be charged to "HomeWord Bound" patrons, but patrons will be notified of any overdue items on their library account. If an item gets lost or damaged while in your care, you would be charged for the replacement cost and processing fee for the item. If an item gets lost or damaged in the mail, you will notify Homeword Bound staff immediately at (541) 312-1035.
Who Qualifies for Service?
Deschutes County residents may use this service if they meet one of the following qualifications:
- short- or long-term disability
- 75 years or older
- confined to home because of illness
How to Apply for Service
Use one to following options:
- Complete the online application to apply and submit your request for service.
- Print application and fill in requested information. Return to any Deschutes Public Library location or mail to:
Downtown Bend Public Library
601 NW Wall Street
Bend, OR 97703
- Ask for an application at any Deschutes Public Library location.
Library staff is available to answer informational and research questions. We can also make author and title recommendations based on your preferences. Call Homeword Bound Services at 541-312-1035 and leave a message (remember to leave a return phone number) and a staff member will respond by the next business day.
Unable to Use Print Resources?
If you are unable to use print resources ask us about another free service— Talking Books and Braille Service (TBABS). The Oregon State Library offers TBABS to Oregon residents who are print-disabled. For more information, call (800) 452-0292 or visit http://talkingbooks.osl.state.or.us/or1aopac/.
Page Last Modified Tuesday, July 20, 2021