View this presentation on Youtube: https://youtu.be/WatWawfzKkc
Fire up the grill to make this summery BBQ roasted beet salad on a bed of arugula & goat cheese with a charred citrus vinaigrette.
Ahja King is an educator, entrepreneur, gardener, reader, wife and mother of three amazing women. Growing up near the Salinas Valley in California, her mom taught her how to grow, glean, harvest and preserve as much food as possible.
ROASTED BEET AND ARUGALA SALAD WITH GRILLED CITRUS VINAIGRETTE
RECIPE & DIRECTIONS:
1 bunch beets(4-5 beets per bunch)
10 oz fresh arugula or other tender greens
½ cup goat cheese
¼ cup pine nuts - toasted
GRILLED CITRUS VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS:
Juice of two grilled lemons
Juice of one grilled orange
½ minced shallot
1 ½ Tbsp white vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional ingredient: zest of one lemon
STEP ONE - PREPARE THE BEETS:
1. Cut the leaf end off the beets and wash the beets thoroughly under cold water.
2. Slice large beets into fourths, smaller beest can be sliced in half or left whole.
3. Toss sliced beets with about 2 Tbsp olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
4. Wrap beets, tightly, in aluminum foil and bake 425 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes. Alternately you can place foil packet on a medium hot grill and cook till done.
6. When beets are done cooking, unwrap and let them sit till cool enough to handle.
7. Use your fingers to rub off the outer skin. They should slip right off.
8. Use gloves if you don't want your fingers to get stained.
9. Slice into smaller pieces and set aside.
STEP TWO - PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE:
1. While the beets are cooking, slice the lemons and orange in half and place, cut side down, on a hot grill.
2. You will want to grill the citrus till the cut side is all nice and delicately charred.
3. Remove from heat and let sit until cool enough to handle.
4. Once the citrus is cool, extract the juice (watch out for the seeds!)
5. Combine grilled citrus juice along with all the other vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar. Screw the lid on tight and give a good shake to combine.
6. If you want to include the lemon zest, take the zest off the lemon before grilling.