History & Genealogy Resources
History and Genealogy information for the consumer and researcher.
- 15 Minute Histories
- 40 digitized fifteen minute interviews of early Central Oregon pioneers originally recorded by Kessler Cannon with KNBD in 1953.
- Biography in Context
- A comprehensive database of biographical information on more than 180,000 people from throughout history, around the world,
and across all disciplines and subject areas.
- Gale Courses
- Sign up for Genealogy
Basics to learn where to look, who to contact, and how to use research tools to begin an exciting and fascinating exploration
of your roots.
- My Heritage
- One of the largest, most internationally diverse genealogy databases of its kind in the world. It includes billions of historical
documents from over 48 countries, millions of historical photos, public records, indexes and additional resources. Includes
the Social Security Death Index.
- U.S. History in Context
- A complete overview of U.S. history that covers the most-studied events, issues, and current information.
- America’s News
- Features full text newspapers for local (Bend Bulletin) and national locations.
- The (Bend) Bulletin Indexes
- Searchable indexes in Adobe Acrobat, Excel, and plain text formats.
Index for 1903 – 1970
Index for 1971 – 1972
Index for 1984 – 1994
- Newspaper Chart
- A list of Deschutes County newspapers with date ranges and access locations.
- Oregon Historic Newspapers
- Read full text articles from a selective list of Oregon newspapers published from mid 1800’s to early 1900’s. Digital copies include photos, full text searching and a printable pdf format. Created and maintained by University of Oregon in conjunction with the Library of Congress project Chronicling America digital newspaper project.
- Oregon Vital Statistics
- Downtown Bend Library, 2nd floor
- Death Index, 1915-1970 (microfilm)
- Death Index, 1961-2008 (microfiche)
- Marriage Index (Bride & Groom), 1906-1970 (microfilm)
- Marriage Index (Bride), 1961-2008 (microfiche)
- Marriage Index (Groom), 1961-2008 (microfiche)
- Divorce, 1971-2008 (microfiche)
- Oregon Census Rolls, 1850-1930
- Downtown Bend Library, 2nd floor (microfilm)
- City of Bend’s Historic Preservation
- These 3 sections are most useful:
- A Map of Bend's Historic Resources
- List of Local Resources Designated by the City Council
- The National Register of Historic Places Nominations in Bend
- Deschutes County Property Search Tool, D.I.A.L.
- The DIAL Search Form allows you to search and locate property history from the County Assessor’s office. This page also provides a link to LAVA5, a GIS map of current property plats in Deschutes County.
- Find-a-Grave: Deschutes County
- From the Find-a-Grave web site.
- Online Oregon Death Records & Indexes
- A privately created and maintained site that attempts to list essential online resources for each state in one location.
- Oregon Historical Sites Database
- A statewide database of historical sites and buildings, including National Register sites. Search by city or county and limit search by using such criteria as architectural style, builder, year, common property name, etc.
- Oregon State Archives Vital Records
- A list of vital records in the Oregon State Archives including information for city, county, state and other Pacific Northwest locations. Vital records include birth, death, marriage, and divorce documents but availability is determined by Oregon Health Division's Administrative Rule 333-011.
- Tombstone Transcription: Deschutes County, Oregon
- From the USGenWeb research project.
- Ancestry.com includes a link for genealogy lessons which provides tips to help sharpen your research skills. Use their Learning Center to explore the basic skills necessary to do genealogy research. Much of their content if only available for a fee but access it for free at the Bend LDS Family Research Center.
- Cyndi's list of Genealogy sites on the Internet
- One of the most comprehensive lists of genealogy websites that includes thousands of links arranged alphabetically by category.
- Family Search
- This free site searches through millions of digitized records from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The site also offers extensive genealogical help for beginners, with many useful videos and tips. FamilySearch is also a great place to build your own family tree after you create a free account.
- Find My Past
- This free site has millions of US records, as well as extensive records from the United Kingdom and Ireland. FindMyPast also includes PERSI.
- US GenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb project consists of a large group of volunteers working together to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state in the United States. It is a non-commercial project and access is free to everyone.
La Pine Genealogical Society
- Bend Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
Alice Miles, Regent
- Bend Genealogical Society and Library
PO Box 8254
Bend, OR 97708-8254
BGS offers free genealogy mentoring to help beginners get started in their family history quest. Mentoring sessions are available by appointment.
- Bowman Museum and Historical Society of Crook County
246 N. Main Street
Prineville, OR 97754
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family Research Centers
1260 NE Thompson Dr
Bend, Deschutes, Oregon, United States
Hours: T-Th 9am-4pm; F 9am-noon by appointment only
333 SE Idlewood
Prineville, Crook, Oregon, United States
Hours: Tu. 10am-7pm, Wed. 1pm-7pm, Thur. 10am-2pm, call for evening appointments.
Closed: Closed Major Holidays, July and August
450 S Rimrock Dr
Redmond, Deschutes, Oregon, United States
Hours: by appointment
Closed: Closed during Thanksgiving week and the last two weeks of December.
- Deschutes County Historical Society
129 NW Idaho Ave
Bend, OR 97701
- Genealogical Forum of Oregon, Inc.
2505 S.E. 11th Ave., Suite B-18
Portland, OR 97202
The Forum is an all-volunteer non-profit organization founded in 1946. It maintains the largest genealogical collection between San Francisco and Seattle.
PO Box 1081
La Pine, OR 97739
Dave Tucker - firstname.lastname@example.org
Greater Redmond Historical Society
529 SW 7th Street
Redmond, OR 97756
- Get help with your history and genealogy research.
- Interlibrary Loan
- Request materials from libraries outside of Central Oregon.
- Obituary Requests
- Submit your request for a copy of a local obituary request.
Chat with a Librarian
Page Last Modified Tuesday, January 3, 2017